Styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR) is a synthetic rubber made from the polymerization of styrene and butadiene. It is a versatile material with a wide range of applications, including tires, footwear, conveyor belts, hoses, and molded goods. SBR is the most widely produced synthetic rubber in the world, accounting for over half of the global synthetic rubber market.
Market Size and Growth
The global Styrene-Butadiene Rubber Market is expected to reach US$ 6.2898 billion by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 4.90% from 2023 to 2030. The growth of the SBR market is being driven by a number of factors, including:
- Increasing demand for tires in developing countries, especially in the Asia Pacific region
- Growing demand for high-performance tires with low rolling resistance and improved fuel efficiency
- Increasing use of SBR in other applications, such as footwear, conveyor belts, hoses, and molded goods
The SBR market can be segmented by type, application, and region.
- Emulsion SBR
- Solution SBR
Emulsion SBR is the more widely produced type of SBR, accounting for over 90% of the global SBR market. It is less expensive and easier to produce than solution SBR, but it has lower performance characteristics. Solution SBR is more expensive and difficult to produce, but it has better performance characteristics, such as higher tensile strength and tear resistance.
- Conveyor belts
- Molded goods
- Other applications
Tires are the largest application for SBR, accounting for over 70% of the global SBR market. SBR is used in tires to improve their durability, heat resistant coatings, and traction. Other major applications for SBR include footwear, conveyor belts, hoses, and molded goods.
- Asia Pacific
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The Asia Pacific region is the largest market for SBR, accounting for over 40% of the global SBR market. The growth of the SBR market in the Asia Pacific region is being driven by the increasing demand for tires in developing countries, such as China, India, and Southeast Asia.
The global SBR market is dominated by a few major players, including:
- Rockwood Lithium
- Asahi Kasei
- China Petroleum & Chemical
- Reliance Industries Limited (India)
- Zeon Corporation (Japan)
- LG Chem (South Korea),
- Trinseo (US)
- KUMHO PETROCHEMICAL (South Korea)
- Goodyear Rubber Company (US)
Some of the key trends that are shaping the global SBR market include:
- Increasing demand for high-performance tires: The growing demand for high-performance tires with low rolling resistance and improved fuel efficiency is driving the demand for SBR in the tire industry.
- Growing use of SBR in other applications: SBR is increasingly being used in other applications, such as footwear, conveyor belts, hoses, and molded goods. This is due to its versatility and cost-effectiveness.
- Increasing demand from developing countries: The growing demand for tires and other rubber products in developing countries is driving the demand for SBR in these regions.
The global SBR market faces a number of challenges, including:
- Fluctuating prices of raw materials: The prices of styrene and butadiene, the two main raw curable materials used in the production of SBR, are volatile. This can make it difficult for SBR producers to maintain stable prices.
- Environmental concerns: The production of SBR can generate hazardous waste. This is a major environmental concern, and it is driving the development of more sustainable SBR production processes.
The global SBR market is expected to grow at a steady pace in the coming years. The growth of the market is being driven by the increasing demand for tires, footwear, and other rubber products in developing countries. The growing demand for high-performance tires is also driving the demand for SBR.
The SBR market is facing a number of challenges, such as fluctuating prices of raw materials and environmental concerns. However, the industry is working to address these challenges and develop more sustainable and cost-effective SBR production processes.
Browse More Reports:
About Market Research Future:
At Market Research Future (MRFR), we enable our customers to unravel the complexity of various industries through our Cooked Research Report (CRR), Half-Cooked Research Reports (HCRR), & Consulting Services. MRFR team have supreme objective to provide the optimum quality market research and intelligence services to our clients.
Market Research Future (part of Wantstats Research and Media Private Limited),
99 Hudson Street, 5Th Floor,
New York, New York 10013
United States of America
+1 628 258 0071